FLUFFY WHITE CAKEFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for greasing pans shopping list
- 4 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted, plus additional for dusting pans shopping list
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 9 large egg whites shopping list
How to make it
- Arrange oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter cake pans and line bottom of each with round of parchment.
- Butter paper, then dust pans with flour, knocking out excess.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In small bowl, combine milk and vanilla.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar on moderate speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low. Add 1/2 of flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add milk mixture and beat until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture and beat until just combined, then raise speed to moderately high and beat 10 seconds.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- In clean bowl of electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Fold 1/3 of egg whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining 2/3 of egg whites until just incorporated.
- Divide batter between prepared pans and smooth tops.
- Bake cakes until tops are springy to touch and testers come out clean, about 30 minutes for 6-inch cake, 45 minutes for 9-inch cake, and 60 minutes for 12-inch cake.
- Cool cakes in pans on racks 30 minutes.
- Turn out cakes onto racks, peel off parchment, and cool cakes completely.
- (Cakes may be stored at room temperature, tightly wrapped, 2 days; refrigerated up to 5 days; or frozen, double-wrapped, up to 2 weeks. Do not unwrap before thawing.)
- Makes two 9-inch-diameter cakes or one 6-inch-diameter and one 12-inch diameter cake.