wheat berry and barley salad with smoked mozzarellaFrom rudibrarian 6 years ago
- 1 cup wheat berries shopping list
- 1 cup pearl barley shopping list
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup olive oil (preferably extra-virgin) shopping list
- 6 scallions, chopped fine shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups cooked corn (cut from about 2 large ears) shopping list
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella cheese, diced fine shopping list
- 1 pint vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, halved shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives shopping list
How to make it
- Into a kettle of salted boiling water stir wheat berries and cook at a slow boil 30 minutes. Stir in barley and cook grains at a slow boil for 40 minutes. (if using hulled barley, put barley in first, 5 minutes later add wheat berries, and slow boil for 70 minutes once what berries are in)
- While grains are cooking, in a large bowl stir together onion, garlic paste, vinegar, and oil.
- Drain grains well and add to onion mixture. Toss mixture well and cool. Add scallions, corn, mozzarella, tomatoes, chives, and salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.
The Cookrudibrarian Urbana, IL
The Rating5 people
very nice salad thank youminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
This salad is both attractive and nutritious an accomplishment in todays society.
Barley, wheat berries, corn smoked mozzarella with ingredients like these how could anyone go wrong it is like composing a symphony of flavors.
Great recipe....moretrigger in loved it
I am looking for more and better 'veggie'
recipes! Your recipe for this wheatberry
salad sound so delicious! I will try it
very soon! I think others in my family
will also enjoy it!
A "5" Forks !
mjcmcook...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!