Chicken in a Cashew Nut SauceFrom jencathen 5 years ago
- 2 onions, quartered shopping list
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala shopping list
- 1 tsp crushed garlic shopping list
- 1 tsp chili powder shopping list
- 1 TBSP lemon juice shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 TBSP plain yogurt shopping list
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish shopping list
- 1 TBSP golden raisins (I leave out because we don't like raisins) shopping list
- 1 lb. chicken breast boneless, skinless; cubed shopping list
- 6 oz button mushrooms, keep them whole shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup water shopping list
How to make it
- Place onion quarters in a food processor or blender. Process for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste, cashew nuts, garam masala, garlic, chili powder, lemon juice, turmeric, salt and yogurt to the onions and process for another 1 1/2 minutes.
- In a large pan, heat the oil, lower the heat to medium and pour in the onion and spice mixture, fry gently, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes lowering the heat if necessary.
- Add the fresh cilantro, raisins (if used) and cubed chicken to the pan and continue to stir fry for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms, pour in the measured water and bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. After this, check that the chicken is cooked all the way through and the sauce is thick. Continue to cook longer if necessary.
- Serve with rice and a fruit chutney.