CHOCOLATE ORANGE MERINGUE ROULADEFrom vivian 6 years ago
- For the sponge shopping list
- Zest of 1 large orange shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 125g unrefined Castor sugar shopping list
- 200g chestnut puree shopping list
- 40g unrefined Castor sugar for the meringue shopping list
- 15g good quality cocoa powder & 15g arrowroot - sieved together shopping list
- For the filling shopping list
- 284mls (½ pint) lightly whipped double cream shopping list
- 2 tbsp. level cocoa powder shopping list
- 4 tbsp. level, icing sugar shopping list
- 2 large meringues, chopped shopping list
- 75g melted extra bitter chocolate shopping list
- 40g melted butter for buttering the tray shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, Gas 6.
- Line a 21cm x 30cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment and brush well with melted butter.
- Separate the eggs, place the yolks in a mixing machine with the Castor sugar, orange zest and whisk on a high speed until very thick, this will take about 15 minutes. Add the chestnut puree and whisk again to incorporate well, finally fold in the arrowroot and cocoa powder.
- Whisk the egg white over a medium speed or by hand until thick and foamy.
- Add the 40g Castor sugar and whisk again to just incorporate. The meringue must be soft and silky not too stiff.
- Carefully fold the two together and spoon into the prepared Swiss roll tray. This amount of mixture will fit exactly into the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until springy to the touch and well risen.
- Turn out onto lightly sugared baking parchment to cool.
- To finish, fold into the cream the cocoa powder, icing sugar and meringues together.
- Spoon onto the sponge and carefully roll up Swiss roll style using the parchment, if the roulade splits slightly then don’t worry, it’s all part of this unique cake.
- Transfer to a long plate and chill well.
- Just before serving, drizzle with the melted chocolate and dust with icing sugar.