Olive Bread Or EliopittaFrom chacha 5 years ago
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely diced shopping list
- 4 cups flour, sifted shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. pepper, freshly ground (my addition) shopping list
- 3/4 cups warm water shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, (my addition) shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. thyme, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped shopping list
- milk for glaze (I blend milk and melted butter for glaze) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil and add the diced onions.
- Sauté until lightly browned but not fully caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, mix sifted flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Add sautééd onions to the dry ingredients.
- Then add the water, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, and olives.
- Mix until well blended and the dough has formed.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead the dough until soft and smooth, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cover with a towel and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a large ball and place it on a greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour or until the bread is a light golden brown.
- When the bread is 10 minutes from being done, brush the surface lightly with the milk and melted butter mixture to give it a gloss.
- Place it back in the over for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and place it on a rack to cool.