Chicken EnchiladasFrom mrgresch 7 years ago
- 1 lb chicken thighs deboned and skinned shopping list
- 1 poblano pepper diced shopping list
- 1 medium onion diced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic chopped shopping list
- 4 TBS sour cream ( mexican crema if possible) shopping list
- 1/2 lb Mexican chihua melting cheese if possible or use montery jack shopping list
- 1 tsp mexican cumin shopping list
- 1/4 tsp Mexican oregano shopping list
- 2 tsp sweet Hungarian paprika shopping list
- 1 tsp ground ancho chili shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 12 corn tortillas shopping list
- 4 tbs olive oil shopping list
- 1-2 cups of water shopping list
- For the sauce: shopping list
- 2 darbol chilis seeded shopping list
- 1 pulla chili seeded shopping list
- 3 guailjjo chili seeded shopping list
- 2 cups of water shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock shopping list
- all chilis are dried shopping list
How to make it
- Rehydrate the chili's in two cups of water for 45 minutes.
- Right after you put the chilis in water add two tbs olive oil to a sauce pan and saute on a low heat 1/2 of the onion, poblano and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and continue stirring until chicken get's coated with oil and changes color, around 5 minutes. Add the spices and stir another minute or so. Add enough water to the pan to cover chicken. Turn the heat up a little to simmer chicken ( shouldn't be boiling). Simmer the chicken for around 45 minutes, the chicken is done when it starts to break up with a fork easily. You should have no water left in pan when it's done and you might have to add a little water as you go along. Set aside when done.
- In another sauce pan add two tbs olive oil and add the remaining onion, poblano and garlic and saute on low heat until tender around 5 minutes. Add one cup of the chili water and the rehydrated chilis and cook for another 2 minutes. Pureee this mixture until smooth. you might have to add a little more of the chili water if too thick. Then add that back to the pan along with the 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock. bring to a gentle boil and turn off.
- dry fry the corn tortillas seperately in a pan with no oil for a minute on each side. add 1/2 of the cheese to chicken mixture along with the sour cream and stir. Now take around 3-4 tbs of mixture and put it in the tortilla and roll up. Place them in a baking dish seam side down.
- ( add a little sauce to bottom of pan first) After all the tortillas are rolled up pour sauce over all of them and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes....
- You can substitute a canned enchilada sauce because it might be hard for you to get those chilis depending on where you live.