Spinach and Rice SoupFrom tomkitten 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh spinach, washed shopping list
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 small fresh red chili, seeded and finely chopped (optional) shopping list
- generous 1/2 cup risotto rice (I only use 1/4 cup and it's plenty) shopping list
- 5 cups vegetable stock shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 Tbsp grated pecorino cheese, to serve shopping list
How to make it
- Place spinach in large pan with just the water that clings to its leaves after washing. Add pinch of salt. Heat gently until the spinach has wilted, then remove from the heat and drain, reserving any liquid. Cool chop finely.
- Heat the oil in large pan and cook onion, garlic and chili for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in rice until well coated, then pour in the stock and reserved spinach liquid.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 5-7 minutes more, until rice is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, top with a light sprinkling of Pecorino cheese