Leahs Rice and Beans with SausageFrom divaliscious 6 years ago
- 1 sweet green bell pepper - cut into 1inch chunks shopping list
- 1 jalapeño finely diced shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 2 cans red kidney beans, rinsed of their canned juices shopping list
- 5 garlic gloves minced shopping list
- 1 Italian dry sausage such as soprasatta, skin removed, sliced thin and halved. shopping list
- 1-1/2 cup rice shopping list
- 3-1/2 cups water/chicken stock shopping list
- 2 tablespoons 'better than bullion-chicken flavored' is using water - which is what I did and prefer than using canned chicken stock. shopping list
- fresh cracked pepper shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot, pour enough olive oil to coat the bottom.
- On medium heat, add diced onions and sliced sausages. Sautee till onions are wilted and starting to be translucent.
- Add both peppers and garlic, let cook one minute.
- Add beans and rice.
- Add fresh cracked pepper, and additional spices you might like - such as cumin, old bay, hot sauce, etc.
- Stir till all ingredients are combined.
- Then add water/chicken stock/better than bullion - you might need to add additional water, since you want enough water to be at the same height as all the ingredients in your pot.
- Cover with lid and put heat onto high.
- Let come to a boil, then put down on lowest setting and cook for 25 minutes or until all water has evaporated.
- Serve up with a sprinkling of freshly minced parsley and/or chives. I made an amazing twist of reciperules cornbread (link provided) which I used fresh jalapeño versus the chilies and canned corn versus the cream corn as specified in her recipe. It was literally the best corn bread I ever did make.
- Photo shown is my dish served along with GR's own Recipesrules' Cornbread Mile High and Moist recipe that I made to go along with the dish: Cornbread Mile High And Moist
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating2 people
wow, this sounds and looks fantastic. These are the best recipes the ones that are made up and tried and true. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
This recipe has all the ingredients I love. FIVE cloves of garlic!!? You are my kind of girl, Diva. Do you think some Chorizo sausage would go good in this? I have some in the freezer and its so nice and spicy. I am printing this one off and saving i...morerecipesrule in Winnipeg loved it