Butternut Squash And Barley RisottoFrom moonpig 6 years ago
- 350g butternut squash, peeled and cubed into bite size chunks shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic minced shopping list
- 200g barley, rinsed and picked over shopping list
- 450ml chicken/vegetable stock shopping list
- Splash dry white wine (optional) shopping list
- 2 tbsp fresh sage chopped ( 2 tsp dried) or 3 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped (2 tsp dried) shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 50g fresh grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- Half bag of spinach leaves, washed shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed skillet. Add the onion and cook on a medium heat for 5-8minutes until translucent, not browned. Add the garlic, cubed squash and the splash of wine. Cover and cook on medium for a couple of minutes until you can no longer smell the alcohol.
- Add the barley and stir well, cook for a couple of minutes. If the barley sticks add splash of stock. Then add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Add the remaining stock (yes all in one go!), bring to the boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for approx 30 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender; Stir occasionally to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- NOTE: This is very filling and quite rich in flavour. So I sometimes serve half portions with some nice green beans or other summer Veg/green salad. It keeps in the refrigerator great in an air tight container or ziplock bag. It tastes great the next day cold or re-heated and so we take the leftovers for filling lunch at work.
The Cookmoonpig Liverpool, GB
The Rating4 people
I like the change from the classic Aborrio rice to barley. The addition of sage and spinach is quite nice too. High Five
Michaeltrigger in loved it
The kind of food this Yank can get in to. Gr8t post :)turtle66 in Sacramento loved it
Good comfort food! Looks delicious!morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!