Berbere Stew Ethiopian Lentil StewFrom tazoncaffeine 4 years ago
- To make berberé spice mixture, combine: shopping list
- 1 Tbs. ground cardamom shopping list
- 1 Tbs. ground coriander shopping list
- 1 Tbs. fenugreek shopping list
- 1 Tbs. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1 Tbs. ground cloves shopping list
- 1 Tbs. ground allspice shopping list
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon shopping list
- 1 Tbs. paprika shopping list
- 1 Tbs. turmeric shopping list
- 1 tsp. cayenne shopping list
- 1 Tbs. ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 Tbs. ground sea salt shopping list
- Store in a cool, dark place. shopping list
- The stew: shopping list
- 1/2 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 + 1/4 cup red lentils shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups water shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, crushed shopping list
- 1-2 Tbs. berberé spice mixture, above shopping list
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes shopping list
How to make it
- Mix lentils with water, garlic, onion, and spices.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 20 minutes or until the lentils have softened.
- Watch carefully and add water if it starts to dry out.
- Add the tomatoes and heat at least 15 more minutes.
- Good alone or over whole grains such as brown rice.
The Cooktazoncaffeine Laconia, NH
The Rating4 people
Yay! I'm trying to get my guy to eat more veggies and legumes with me and I think he's going to love the this. Thanks for posting and happy new year!
Boofboofie in Salt Lake City loved it
Exceptional recipe. I used a store-bought berbere mix rather than the listed one, but it still turned out fantastically. Everyone that tried it thought it was great. I will definitely be making this recipe more often if I need something simple to mak...moreyellowarcher in Salem loved it
Made this the other night with some quick-and-dirty teff-less injera, big success. I thought two tbsp of berbere might be too much, but when I realised exactly how much 28.5 oz's of tomatoes is, I said the heck with it and went full bore. Very good...moresoudou in Cleveland loved it