Chicken with Wild Mushroom and Balsamic Cream SauceFrom jencathen 8 years ago
- salt shopping list
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan shopping list
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 6 ounces shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 12 cremini or baby portobello mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced shopping list
- 12 white mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, a couple of sprigs, chopped shopping list
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, eyeball it shopping list
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half, a couple turns of the pan shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, a generous handful shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and add orzo pasta. Cook to al dente.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet. Cook the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Return the skillet to the heat, turn heat back a bit, and add the butter. Once the butter melts add the mushrooms and brown stirring occasionally for about 4 to 5 minutes. Once the mushrooms are brown season with salt and pepper then add the garlic, thyme and shallots. Cook stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes or until the shallots are wilted. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook 2 minutes more. Whisk in the stock, balsamic vinegar and the cream. Turn the heat up to high and simmer for about 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice the chicken on an angle. Add the parsley and the chicken back to the skillet to heat up, about 1 minute.
- To serve, pile orzo on dinner plates and top with the sliced chicken and sauce.