Rottmans Crab MeltFrom rottman 5 years ago
- crab Imperial shopping list
- 1 lb backfin or lump crab meat shopping list
- 1/2 c mayonnaise shopping list
- 1/2 c sour cream shopping list
- 1 ts lemon juice shopping list
- 1 ts worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 ts Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1/8 ts curry powder shopping list
- cheddar cheese sauce: shopping list
- 3 tb butter shopping list
- 3 tb flour shopping list
- 1/2 ts salt shopping list
- 1/8 ts ground black or white pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 c milk shopping list
- 1 c sharp cheddar cheese; grated shopping list
- Muffin and ham: shopping list
- 1/2 lb Smithfield ham (or other salt ham); thinly sliced shopping list
- double smoked ham also works well shopping list
- Smithfield smoked pork chops are a very good substitute. shopping list
- 8 whole grain English muffins shopping list
- or split Solado bread shopping list
How to make it
- Clean crab meat thoroughly. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and curry powder. Set aside.
- Open the muffins and toast the halves lightly. Remove and spread a thin layer of margarine on each half.
- On two sheets of non-stick aluminium foil, lay out the toasted and buttered English muffins. Layer each with a piece of Smithfield ham. Place a dollop of crab imperial over then ham. Do not scrimp on either the ham, or the crab.
- Place each group of muffins in a preheated 300°F oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes baking, reset the oven to Hi broil and lightly brown the crab and ham for about 5 minutes.
- After 10 minutes cooking time, melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan. Stir in the flour and seasonings for the cheddar cheese sauce. Gradually add the milk, stiring until well mixed. Stir constantly until thickened and smooth. Cook 5 minutes longer, then add the cheese.
- Place two muffins with crap and ham on each serving plate. Cover with cheese sauce. Serve hot.
The Cookrottman Nottingham, MD
The Rating5 people
I took the liberty of adding this special recipe to the Blue Crab Lovers group, Rottman. Kudos to the crab!crabhappychick in Pittsburgh loved it
Wow! This is a whole meal! Excellent recipe!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
This sounds divine, Rottman and I am lucky enough to have Smithfield ham available at my store. I cannot wait to taste your crab melt. You know, this is not the best place to come to when you're hungry. Ha! Thanks so much! :) Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it