Smoked Pork Chops with Braised Sauerkraut and ApplesFrom mountainmama 5 years ago
- 6 smoked pork chops, 1/2-inch thick shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced into thin rings shopping list
- 2 medium tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and sliced thin lengthwise shopping list
- 1 quart sauerkraut, 4 cups shopping list
- 2-1/2 cups homemade or canned chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pork chops and brown, turning once. Remove the chops and keep warm.
- Add the onions and apples to the skillet, adding a little more butter if needed. Sauté until the onions are softened. Remove the pan from the heat. Remove the apples and onions from the skillet.
- Drain and rinse the sauerkraut. Press out any excess moisture. Place the sauerkraut and 1/2 cup of the chicken stock in the skillet and simmer over medium heat until the stock reduces. The sauerkraut should wilt a little as it cooks. Sprinkle with a little of the caraway seeds.
- Turn the sauerkraut into a large, buttered, ovenproof casserole. Arrange the pork chops on top of the sauerkraut. Spread the onion and apple mixture on top of the pork. Pour the remaining 2 cups chicken stock over all. Sprinkle the remaining caraway seeds on top.
- Cover the casserole with a lid or aluminum foil. Place on the center rack of the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the excess moisture is absorbed.
The Cookmountainmama Heaven, WV
The Rating6 people
Great recipe - I love the caraway seeds flavor!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
This is truly a great, very tasty recipe! Absolutely full of flavor.rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!