Artichoke Rice CakesFrom docjoe 8 years ago
- 4 large artichoke hearts, frozen or canned (drain, rinse and dry canned hearts) shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter shopping list
- 1 small onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped shopping list
- 2/3 cup Aborio rice shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock, hot shopping list
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, fresh grated shopping list
- 5 oz. manchego cheese, cubed shopping list
- 3-4 Tbl. fine corn meal or Italian flavored bread crumbs shopping list
- oil for frying shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnsh shopping list
How to make it
- Dry the artichoke hearts on paper towels, and finely chop them.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and gently saute the chopped hearts, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the raw Aborio and cook for about a minute making sure to get the rice well coated.
- Keeping the heat high add in the stock stirring constantly in half cup increments.
- Let each addition of stock be absorbed before adding next. Continue cooking until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add in the Parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly..
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool then cover, and chill for at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Spoon about a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into your palm, flatten slightly and place a cube of Manchego into the center.
- Shape the rice over the cheese, roll into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Coat the rice mixture in either the corn meal or bread crumbs.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture to make about 12 cakes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and pan fry in batches of 3 or 4 until they are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and serve hot garnished with the chopped parsley.
- Try an aioli dipping mayo with these.