Cincinnati Chili CupcakesFrom maggiehc 5 years ago
- For the cupcakes: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 t chile powder* shopping list
- 3/4 t ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 t ground allspice shopping list
- pinch cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips shopping list
- 5 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (apple cider or white) shopping list
- 1 cup cold water shopping list
- *Be sure to check for other ingredients in spice jars labelled "chili powder". You want to buy pure chile powder and not anything with cumin, onion, garlic, etc added. shopping list
- For the frosting: shopping list
- 1/4 cup margarine (or butter) shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 3 cups powdered sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- Plus white chocolate and icing colors to decorate shopping list
How to make it
- To make the cakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with papers.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt and spices to a large bowl. Stir with a wire whisk until full incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and stir to distribute.
- Mix together the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fill the cupcake papers three quarters full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with only a few crumbs clinging.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes and then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Frost and decorate.
- To make the frosting:
- Beat the margarine and shortening until smooth.
- Slowly sift in the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat until mixed in.
- Fill a piping bag with a #4 Wilton tip or snip a very small opening to create the "spaghetti".
- To decorate:
- I made the orange "cheese" with orange colored white chocolate. I get dairy-free white chocolate from Chocolate Emporium. I melted the chocolate chips carefully in the microwave and then added both Wilton Lemon Yellow and Orange icing colors to get the ideal orange shade. I chilled the colored block of chocolate in the freezer. When I was ready to decorate, I microwaved the block of chocolate in 5 second increments to get it just warm and pliable enough to grate.
The Cookmaggiehc Detroit, MI
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!