Featherlight Yeast RollsFrom fireraven 7 years ago
How to make it
- Generously cover potato with cold water in a med saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until very tender, about 10 mins. Reserve 1 c cooking liquid, then drain potato well.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 1/2 tbs butter.
- Mash hot potato in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in milk, salt, 2 tbs sugar, and 2 tbs melted butter. (Mixture will be lumpy)
- Cook 1/2 c cooking liquid to warm (105-115F). Stir in yeast and let stand until foamy about 5 mins. (If no foam, throw out and try again with reamining cooking liquid)
- Stir yeast into potato mixture, then stir in flour with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead, dusting surface and hands with enough flour to keep dough from skicking, until smooth and elastic, about 10 mins. (dough will be slightly sticky)
- Brush a large bowl with some of remaining melted butter, then turn dough in bowl to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise, chilled, 8-12 hours.
- Punch down dough, do not knead, then halve. Roll each half into a 12 in long log on a very lightly floured surface with lightly floured hands. Cut each log into 12 equal pieces and roll each into a ball. Arrange evenly spaced in 6 rows of 4 (less than 1/2 in apart) in a buttered 13x9x2 in baking pan. Cover pan with a kitchen towl.
- Let rolls rise in a draft free place at warm room temp until doubled (they will fill the pan) 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat over to 375F with rack in middle
- Melt remaining 1 1/2 tbs butter
- Brush top of rolls with melted butter and bak until golden brown 25-30 mins. Loosen edges with a sharp knife, then transer rolls to a rack and cool slightly.