French Mushroom SoupFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups sliced onions shopping list
- 3 TBSP. butter shopping list
- 3/4 pounds mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 2 cans ( 14 1/2-ounces each) beef broth.... or homemade shopping list
- 2 TBSP. dry sherry or dry vermouth shopping list
- 4 slices French bread, 1/2-inch thick shopping list
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese....the real stuff! shopping list
How to make it
- in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, saute the onions on butter for 5 minutes.
- add mushrooms... cook and stir for 3 minutes
- add broth and sherry and bring to a boil. turn heat down
- stir and cover...simmer for 10 minutes
- meanwhile ...preheat oven to 400" F
- place bread on baking sheet and toast until lightly brown about 10 minutes...
- remove toast and heat the broiler
- puree half the soup in blender...then return to saucepan
- divide soup equally into four (1 1/2-cup) oven-proof bowls.
- top each with 1 slice of toast, 1/4 cup Swiss cheese and 1 TBSP. Parmesan cheese
- broil for 3 - 5 minutes or until golden brown
- makes 4 servings