Fresh Beet Salad with Cilantro and Scallions a la LeahFrom divaliscious 8 years ago
- 5-8 raw beets medium sized to be peeled and sliced. shopping list
- Large pot of water shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- juice of one lemon shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves shopping list
- 3 scallions shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (preferred) or parsley shopping list
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- This recipe yields about 5 cups of cooked and chilled beets
- There are two streams of thought in cooking beets, cooking them whole, then peeling which brings more vitamits to its water which is great to use in smoothies or peel first, then slice and cook which is what I do.
- I still reserve the beet water - which as mentioned can be used to add to fruit smoothies, as a cleansing tonic for doing cleansing diets or quite frankly to use as a dye when crafting....
- I used my cuisine art to slice up beets quickly after I peeled them.
- Place sliced beets in pot, add enough water to cover.
- Add sugar and salt and allow to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to cook on a medium simmer until they are just fork tender - maybe 10 minutes depending upon how much you are cooking at once.
- Strain reserving juice.
- Place now cooked beets into bowl and allow to cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Once chilled,
- take out and add vinegar, chopped garlic, chopped scallions and chopped parsley, stir till combined.
- Add additional salt if necessary and serve.
- Keeps quite well in the fridge for up to one week in a sealed container.
- I served this up last Saturday as a side dish at my guy's b-day party - I was shocked at how well it went over....
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating4 people
MMMM...another great one..Thanksgreekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
We love beets in our house, and unfortunately, beets do not get the deserved attention. Great recipe!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!