Candy Cane ShortbreadFrom chefelaine 7 years ago
How to make it
- Beat butter until almost white.
- Add sugar and peppermint extract and beat until fluffy.
- In another bowl, stir together all-purpose and rice flours.
- Add to butter mixture in 3 additions and stir to combine well.
- Stir in crushed candy canes.
- Preheat oven to 275ºF
- Gather dough together and divide into 4 discs.
- Roll each disc between 2 pieces of waxed or parchment paper to a generous 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies using 3-inch round cookie cutter (or whatever shape you prefer) and place on parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Repeat with remaining dough, re-rolling scraps.
- Bake 1 tray at a time on center rack of the oven for about 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove cookies to cooling rack and let cool completely.
- There are a couple of ways to crush your candy canes. For this recipe it is best to use a food processor on pulse to get crushed pieces that have some fine powder and smaller pieces throughout. Or, place candy canes in a plastic storage bag, and gently break with a small hammer ot meat tenderizer.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating7 people
Chefelaine can I find rice flour in the store? love the diffent flour idea does it give the cookie a softer texture? high 5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
thanks for the wonderful recipe!midgelet in Eastern loved it
gotta make this at Christmas time. Thanks 5
Petedagnabbit in Barrie loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!