Caramelized Leek And Mushroom Soup With Crisp Cheese CroutonsFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- 2 tbsp butter shopping list
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, finely sliced shopping list
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar shopping list
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tbsp brandy, cognac or sherry shopping list
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock shopping list
- ======================================= shopping list
- croutons shopping list
- 1/4 baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, about 2 cups shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter, melted shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely shredded sharp, hard cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot.
- Cook leeks and sugar, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, for about 30 minutes or until starting to caramelize.
- Increase heat to medium-high
- stir in mushrooms, thyme, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid and start to brown.
- Stir in brandy and cook, stirring, until evaporated.
- Stir in stock and bring to boil
- Deglaze the pot, by scraping up brown bits stuck to pot.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- (Soup can be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat to steaming before serving.)
- Just before serving, make the croutons.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF
- In a bowl, drizzle bread cubes with melted butter and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with cheese and toss to evenly coat, pressing to make the cheese adhere if necessary.
- Spread out in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until deep golden and crispy (watch closely that they don't burn).
- Remove from baking sheet immediately using a spatula and transfer to a bowl.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into warmed bowls and serve topped with hot croutons.
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating36 people
thanks great recipemomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
This sounds terrific and cold weather will be here before we know it!pat2me in Nashua loved it
Sounds wonderful, added it to the soup club and high 5s.blondeberry in Charleston loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!