Lentil-barley Soup With Sausage And ChickenFrom fizzle3nat 7 years ago
- 1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage, mild or hot - your choice (I use mild) shopping list
- 1 med. onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/3 c. uncooked pearl barley shopping list
- 8 c. chicken broth shopping list
- 1/2 c. fresh parsley, minced (or use 2 TBSP. dried) shopping list
- 1 lb. raw, skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 4 small - you can also use skin-on bone-in breasts) shopping list
- 1 c. uncooked lentils shopping list
- 1 - 10 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) shopping list
- 1 - 12 oz. jar mild salsa shopping list
- 1 lb. fresh spinach, washed well, roots and coarse leaves discarded, chopped (you can also use baby spinach - I actually use a 10 oz. box of frozen chopped spinach and just dump it in frozen) shopping list
How to make it
- In 5 - 6 quart stock pot, brown sausage over medium-high heat; stirring and breaking up with a spoon. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and barley to drippings. Cook, stirring often, until onion is softened and barley is toasted.
- Add chicken broth, parsley, chicken breasts, and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on medium low heat until breast is white in the thickest part, about 30 minutes.
- Remove breasts, and let rest until cool enough to handle (If using skin-on bone-in breasts, remove skin and bones from meat and discard) Shred meat and return to pan.
- Drain garbanzo beans; add to soup with salsa and reserved sausage.
- Heat to simmering.
- Add spinach to soup and heat through. Serve.
The Cookfizzle3nat Waterville, WA
The Rating3 people
Good job! Nice post!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
I'm useing up my printer cartrage on your recipes!mark555 in Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World loved it
My kind of soup! I love lentil soup alone and barley alone - who would think to combine the two! Great post and can't wait to make it. Sounds like a 5 for me!lincolntoot in Freehold loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!