Perfectly Crispy Roast ChickenFrom mysterix 7 years ago
How to make it
- Lightly spray a medium roasting pan with non-stick or oil spray.
- Place a roasting rack in the pan.
- Lay the thawed chicken, breast side up, on the rack and let air dry for 15-30 minutes [Washing chicken is not necessary].
- Preheat oven to 230 C (450 F).
- With paper towels, sponge off any moisture from the chicken's skin [Note: This is a vital step].
- Liberally salt and pepper the entire body of the chicken with good quality seasonings, including the inner cavity of the bird.
- Optional: Season with a single herb/spice for prime flavor (thyme, basil, rosemary, garlic, asian five spice, and garam masala are all delicious choices) beneath the skin, or sprinkled on top, or even a few sprigs laid into the body cavity.
- Optional: Stuff the chicken with prefered filling, or none at all. Lemon or orange wedges placed in the cavity add a nice bite to an unstuffed roast. Use the unstuffed roasting times for this kind of filling.
- Place the chicken in upper half ofthe oven and cook, uncovered, at 230 C (450 F) for 10-15 minutes to brown and crisp the skin.
- Lower oven temperature to 180 C (350 F) and continue to roast for recommended cooking time or until juices, from pricking the leg, run clear. (Suggested internal thigh temperature is 83 C / 180 F)
- Roast Unstuffed: 2.5-3 lbs (60-90 mins), 3.5-4 lbs (90-105 mins), 4.5-5 lbs (90-120 mins), 5-6 lbs (105-150 mins)
- Roast Stuffed: 2.5-3 lbs (90-120 mins), 3.5-4 lbs (105-135 mins), 4.5-5 lbs (120-150 mins), 5-6 lbs (135-165 mins)
- Basting is optional. Some claim it improves meat moisture and crispiness, others claim it makes the skin less crunchy.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from oven and allow to rest uncovered for at least 5 minutes prior to carving. [Covering the meat will steam-soften the crispy skin.]
- Carve and serve with roast drippings as a light gravy.
- Nutrition: Complicated and varies by bird! But some basics and averages for roast with skin eaten --- Drumstick - 112 Cals; 6g Fat; 14g Protein / Wing - 99 Cals; 7g Fat; 9g Protein / Thigh - 153 Cals; 10g Fat; 16g Protein / Breast (one side) - 193 Cals; 8g Fat; 29g Protein
The Cookmysterix Adelaide, Australia - Not USA Anymore!, MD
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!