Caramel ApplesFrom jrt_mom 5 years ago
- 10 to 12 Lollipop or Popsicle sticks shopping list
- 10 to 12 Medium apples shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- ½ unsalted butter shopping list
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream shopping list
- ¼ cup light corn syrup shopping list
- 2 tbsp maple syrup shopping list
- 1 tbsp Blackstrap or other dark molasses shopping list
- ¼ vanilla extract shopping list
- A pinch of salt shopping list
How to make it
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and butter or oil the foil lightly, or line with a nonstick liner.
- Punch a lollipop stick into each apple. Set aside.
- In a deep, heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, cream, corn syrup, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla and salt and place over medium-high heat.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon from time to time make sure no sugar is sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture registers 236°F on a thermometer, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the caramel cool to 180°F.
- One at a time, dip the apples into the hot caramel, let the excess drip off the bottom, and them set them on the prepared baking sheet. If the caramel slides off the first apple, let the mixture cool for a little linger and try again. You may need to tilt the pan to dip the last few apples (to free your hands, put a wooden spoon under on side of the pan). Let cool completely to set the caramel.
- The apples will keep, uncovered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.