Westhaven CakeFrom lasaf 6 years ago
- ! 8oz. pkg. pitted dates shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1 c. boiling water shopping list
- 1 c. chopped pecans shopping list
- 1/2 c. butter, softened shopping list
- 1 c. sugar shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 c.(6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- powdered sugar for 9x13 snacking cake, or for filling and frosting layer cake shopping list
- 2 c. heavy cream shopping list
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. or two 8 or 9 inch round layer cake pans
- Chop the dates coursely. Put them in a bowl, sprinkle on the baking soda and stir in boiling water.Set aside.
- Meanwhile toast the pecans in a frying pan over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to color and become fragrant, about 7 minutes. Pour out of the pan and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, salt and cocoa powder, and add to the sugar mixture, beating to combine well.
- Stir the date mixture, and pour into batter. Stir well or beat just until mixed.
- If preparing as a 9x13 inch snacking cake, fold in half the chocolate chips and half the nuts. If preparing as a layer cake fold in all the chocolate chips and all the nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan(s). If preparing as a snacking cake, sprinkle on the remaining chocolate chips and the remaining nuts.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Melted chocolate chips do not count). Cool completely.
- For the 9x13 snacking cake sprinkle with powdered sugar. For the layer cake, whip the cream with the 2 tbsp.s of powdered sugar until it is stiff. Fill and frost the cake.
The Cooklasaf St. Paul, MN
The Rating2 people
- Not added to any groups yet!