TINKS -Butternut Squash with Plum ChutneyFrom minitindel 6 years ago
- 3 - pounds butternut squash shopping list
- 1 - pound peaches, peeled shopping list
- 1 - pound plums, halved shopping list
- 1/2 - pound seedless grapes, stems removed........ shopping list
- 2 -yellow onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 - 3/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed..... shopping list
- 1 - cup currants or raisins shopping list
- 1/4 - cup ginger, fresh, finely chopped (peeled)....... shopping list
- 1 - clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 - teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 - 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar shopping list
- 3 - (2 to 3-inch) cinnamon sticks shopping list
- 1 - tablespoon peppercorns shopping list
- 1 - tablespoon whole cloves shopping list
- 2 - tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/4 - teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a sharp knife, puncture squash in several places.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake until tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- To make the chutney, pit and coarsely chop the peaches and plums, and combine in a heavy non-aluminum saucepan with the grapes, onions, brown sugar, currants or raisins, ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, and vinegar.
- On a square of cheesecloth, place the cinnamon sticks, peppercorns, and cloves and tie edges together with kitchen string. Add to the saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chutney develops the consistency of a loose jam (about 50 to 60 minutes).
- When the chutney begins to thicken during the last 10 or so minutes of cooking, stir often with a wooden spoon to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Discard the cheesecloth bundle.
- Set aside 1/2 cup chutney for the squash and refrigerate the rest for future use in a tightly covered container.
- When the squash is done, remove from the oven and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Using oven mitts and a long, sharp knife, carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a large spoon and discard them. Scoop out the hot flesh into a warmed bowl. Add the butter and salt and stir until butter is melted.
- To serve family style: Make a well in the center of the squash, and fill it with chutney. Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings.