Easy Cabbage UnrolledFrom charrm1 7 years ago
- 1 lb ground beef shopping list
- 3 garlic buds (peeled and chopped) shopping list
- 2 medium onions (diced) shopping list
- 1 cup of rice (I prefer converted Uncle Ben's or basmati) shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup of sauerkraut (pickled cabbage in a jar) shopping list
- 3/4 cup dried raisins (Sultana) shopping list
- 3 tsp brown sugar (add 4 tsp if you prefer a little sweeter) shopping list
- 1 small cabbage (finely chopped lenghtwise - in long strips) shopping list
- 1 egg slightly beaten shopping list
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1 cup tomato juice (or 2 cups - see note) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan on the stovetop, cook the ground beef with the garlic and onions. Add the salt and pepper.
- Transfer to an ovenproof casserole and add the sugar, egg, tomatoes, rice, raisins, cabbage and tomato juice and mix together well.
- Cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
- Note: You may need to add 1 extra cup of tomato juice after an hour and a half of cooking if the mixture is too dry.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread and a salad.