Chocolate and Ginger CakeFrom chefelaine 5 years ago
- Parchment or wax paper shopping list
- 10½ oz bittersweet chocolate shopping list
- 8 oz sticks unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering pan shopping list
- 5 large eggs shopping list
- 1⅓ cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp ginger, very finely grated shopping list
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 4 cups good quality vanilla ice cream shopping list
- ½ cup fresh raspberries shopping list
- fresh mint to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Using a 9-inch round pan as a guide, cut out a 9-inch circle from the paper.
- Butter pan and place paper round in the bottom.
- Fill a medium pot 2-inches deep with water and set over medium-high heat.
- Place a large metal or glass bowl on top to create a steam bath or “bain Marie.”
- Place chocolate and butter in bowl, stir until melted, well combined and smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, sugar and ginger until thickened and pale in color.
- Slowly stir in the smooth chocolate mixture until well combined.
- Sift together flour and cinnamon and stir into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into pan and cover tightly with tin foil.
- Place pan into a large roasting pan, fill roasting pan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of round pan.
- Cover roasting pan with tin foil, enclosing round pan inside.
- Place in a preheated 350°F oven and steam for 1½ hours, or until middle of cake has set.
- It will still be very moist.
- Unwrap cake and let cool completely by placing it in the fridge.
- To ease removal of cake, run hot water over the base of pan to help loosen any solidified butter.
- Slice into 12 portions and serve with ice cream, raspberries and mint to garnish.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating11 people
What a beautiful combination of flavors!
Chef, I need some advice, when you use bittersweet chocolate, which one do you prefer: 90, 80 or 70%? Is there any brand you like more?elgab89 in Toronto loved it
great ginger cake thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
this is a keeper!midgelet in Eastern loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!