Pastel Four-Layer Cake RecipeFrom mountainmama 6 years ago
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- Pinch salt shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 3/4 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 3/4 cup shortening shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon each lemon, peppermint, almond and vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare and bake cake according to the package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In small saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cover and refrigerate until cooled completely.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy.
- Divide frosting equally among four bowls, with 1-1/4 cups in each. To the first bowl, add 2-3 drops yellow food coloring and lemon extract until blended. To second bowl, add 2-3 drops red food coloring and peppermint extract. To third bowl, add 2-3 drops green food coloring and almond extract. To the last bowl, add the cocoa and vanilla.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with green frosting. Top with the second layer; spread with yellow frosting. Top with the third layer; spread with pink frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; spread with cocoa frosting. Do not frost sides of cake.