Barley Soup With Red Beans Corn And SageFrom pleclare 8 years ago
- 1c barley,soaked in cold water for 2 hours shopping list
- 2Tbs butter shopping list
- 1Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 10 lg. sage leaves,chopped or 2trs dried sage shopping list
- 1 lg. red onion,finely diced shopping list
- 1/2c carrot,diced shopping list
- 1-2 garlic cloves,chopped shopping list
- 3Tbs parsley,choped shopping list
- 1tsp tomato paste shopping list
- 2 qts water or veg. stock shopping list
- 11/2tsp salt shopping list
- sea salt totaste shopping list
- fresh ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 ears of corn shopping list
- 1(15 oz) can red kidney beans,drained and rinsed shopping list
- minced parsley shopping list
How to make it
- If you havent soaked it,cover barley with hot water before you start prepping the soup for vegetables.
- Melt butter with oil,bay leaves and sage in a wide soup pot.
- Add the onion,carrot,stir and cook over medium heat,stirring occasionally,for about 10 mins,until the onion begins to take on some color.
- Add garlic and chopped parsley,then work in tomato paste.
- Drain the barley;add it to the pot with 2 qts water or stock and 1/12trs salt.
- Bring to boil;reduce heat to simmer and cover and cook till barley is tender,about 35 mins. Taste for salt and season with pepper.
- Meanwhile,shuck the corn and slice off the top halves of the kernals. Reversing your knife to the dulledge,press out the milk from the cobs. Setaside corn kernals and corn milk.
- When barley is tender,add reserved corn and beans to soup. Heat through,taste once more for salt,and serve with fresh minced parsley.