Ultimate MeatloafFrom sporadiccook 4 years ago
- tomato Relish: shopping list
- extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, finely diced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced shopping list
- 2 tomatoes, halved, seeded, and finely diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle ketchup shopping list
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Meatloaf: shopping list
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed, torn into chunks by hand shopping list
- 1/4 cup whole milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef shopping list
- 1 pound ground pork shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 to 4 bacon slices shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a skillet with a 2-count of oil and place over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and bay leaves for a few minutes to create a base flavor. Throw in the red peppers and cook them for a couple of minutes to soften. Stir in the parsley, ketchup, and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the relish for 5 minutes to pull all the flavors together. Remove it from the heat; you should have about 4 cups of relish.
- Place the torn white bread in a bowl and add the milk to just barely cover, swish the bread around in the milk and let it sit while you get the rest of the ingredients for the meat loaf together.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and pork with 1 1/2 cups of the tomato relish, the eggs, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Squeeze the excess milk from the bread and add the soaked bread to the meat mixture.
- Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Transfer the meat mixture to the center of the cookie sheet and form into a log about 9 inches long and about 4 inches wide. Coat the top of the meatloaf with another 1/2 cup of the tomato relish. Lay the bacon across the top lengthwise.
- Bake the meatloaf for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the bacon is crisp and the meatloaf is firm. Rotate the meat loaf while it's baking every now and then to insure that the bacon browns evenly. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it cool a bit before slicing. Serve with the remaining tomato relish on the side. Unbelievably moist!
The Cooksporadiccook Phoenix
The Rating3 people
You get a high 5 from me. I saw Tyler make this a while back and have made it twice already. It's one of the best meatloafs I have ever tried. If I recall correctly, isn't this his dad's recipe? Mr. Florence must be a very good cook, too - if thi...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
I like watching Tyler's Ultimate. I tend to do the same thing with recipes I've tried; combine my favorite parts of different recipes into one 'master' recipe. This looks awesome, but I love meatloaf, however humble or extravagant. - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!