Touch Of Asia Sweet Potato ChowderFrom mystic_river1 5 years ago
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste or 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (5 to 6 large), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces shopping list
- 2 14-ounce cans chicken broth shopping list
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
- 1 2-inch piece fresh lemongrass or 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel shopping list
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 Package tiny frozen peas shopping list
- Garnish with finely chopped red chile if desired. shopping list
- Serve in homemade bread bowl. shopping list
How to make it
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add curry paste and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sweet potato, chicken broth, coconut milk, lemongrass, and, if desired, ginger.
- Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Discard lemongrass.
- Transfer half of the potato mixture (about 4 cups) in small batches to a blender or food processor.
- Leave half to add to chowder mixture..gives a wonderful look and texture.
- Cover and blend or process until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to the remaining mixture in Dutch oven.
- Stir in white pepper and salt.
- Heat through.
- Add frozen peas for last minute or so.
- Nice served in bread bowl.
- That's it! Enjoy!
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating7 people
Another great soup for me to try.
Served in a bread bowl no less
High Fivetrigger in loved it
JM, this is a wonderful idea to use sweet potato in a chowder! Love it!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
55555, JM.. :)lanacountry in Macon loved it