Black Eyed Pea Soup With Ham and GreensFrom coffeebean53 6 years ago
- 4 tablespoons oil shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 lb cooked ham, chopped shopping list
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 lb collard greens, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth shopping list
- 5 cups water shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes shopping list
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas (I use the ones with jalapeno in them myself) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat; add onions, ham, carrot and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft; add collards, broth, water, bay leaf and red pepper flakes to saucepan and simmer until greens are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Rinse and drain black eyed peas; semi mash one can of peas in a bowl; add those peas and other can into soup and simmer 5 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in vinegar.
- Don't omit the vinegar by the way. It truly adds something to it and gives it a much more southern taste for lack of a better way of putting it.