Beer-Spiked Potato-Cheese Gratin with ApplesFrom newjoolz 6 years ago
- 1 T butter, softened shopping list
- 1 cup light or nonalcoholic beer, or reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 1 cup diced onion shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- 2 lbs (4 medium) russet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced (1/8-inch) shopping list
- 1 T minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried (I would use thyme or oregano rather than rosemary) shopping list
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread softened butter evenly in 8-cup shallow gratin or baking dish.
- Place beer, cream, onion, salt, pepper and garlic in large saucepan or Dutch oven; stir in potatoes. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in rosemary or other herbs.
- Spread half of the potato mixture over bottom of gratin dish; top with apples. Sprinkle with 1 1/4 cups of the cheese; top with remaining potato mixture.
- Cover dish with foil; bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes and apples are tender, liquid has thickened and top is lightly browned. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.