Garden Chicken CasseroleFrom fizzle3nat 5 years ago
- 2 c. chicken broth shopping list
- 2/3 c. sherry, divided shopping list
- 1 pkg. (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix (I like Uncle Ben's) shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 small carrots, grated shopping list
- 1 small green pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 c. butter shopping list
- 3 c. diced, cooked chicken shopping list
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained shopping list
- 1 pkg. (8 ounces) cream cheese shopping list
- 2 c. (or 8 ounce pkg.) shredded American or cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1 c. evaporated milk shopping list
- 1/3 c. parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds shopping list
- carrots and green onions, for garnish, optional shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth and 1/3 c. sherry to boil. Add contents of rice package, cover, and simmer over low heat 25 - 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a Dutch oven or large pot, saute onion, carrots, and green pepper in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add rice, chicken, and mushrooms, mixing well.
- Place cream cheese, American (or Cheddar) cheese, and milk and melt over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Add to Dutch oven with remaining sherry, mixing thoroughly.
- Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Top with parmesan cheese and almonds. Cover and bake 35 minutes; uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until bubbly. If desired, garnish with carrots and green onions.
- *Casserole may be refrigerated overnight before baking. If refrigerated, increase baking time to 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.