Greek Vegetarian MoussakaFrom symposio 6 years ago
- 1 kg potatoes suitable for frying shopping list
- 4 large courgettes shopping list
- 8 medium eggplants shopping list
- ½ litre frying oil shopping list
- For the Sauce - shopping list
- 1kg button mushrooms shopping list
- 2 crushed garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 2 onions finely sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- ½ cup olive oil shopping list
- For the Bechamel shopping list
- 1 litre fresh milk shopping list
- 250g butter shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 200g grated parmesan cheese (2/3 for the béchamel and 1/3 to sprinkle on top of the béchamel) shopping list
How to make it
- Slice the potatoes, courgettes and eggplants lengthwise into ½cm slices.
- Deep fry them – first the potatoes, then add the eggplants and finally add the courgettes.
- Remove them and place them on absorbent kitchen paper to drain off as much oil as possible.
- The Sauce
- Gently fry the onions in a large pan.
- Add the crushed garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and continue stirring.
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Add the parsley.
- Continue heating until all the juice has been absorbed and you have a thick sauce.
- The Bechamel
- In a heavy-bottomed pan gently heat the butter until it melts.
- Add the flour and stir continuously.
- Add half of the milk and continue to stir with a whisk.
- When the mixture starts to thicken, add the rest of the milk whilst stirring continuously.
- When it starts to thicken again, lower the temperature to the minimum and add the grated cheese and then turn off.
- In a deep oven dish place a layer with half of the potatoes at the bottom.
- Add a layer with the courgettes on top and then a layer with the eggplants.
- Spread the sauce on top.
- Add a final layer with the remaining potatoes on top of the sauce.
- Add the béchamel on top and sprinkle the remaining cheese over it.
- Bake in a pre-heated moderate oven for approx. 40 minutes or until it has turned a golden colour on top.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cooksymposio Corfu, GR
The Rating8 people
Hello ~ (^_^) ~
Thank-you so much for posting such a delicious
"5"FORK!!!!! recipe ~ I have several Family members
who do not eat meat-products and I am always looking for recipes for them. However, I believe
that anyone would enj...moremjcmcook in Beach City loved it
awsome flavor thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Gorgeous - and I'm saving this recipe of yours, too. I love Moussaka and your veggie version has my interest piqued and I can't wait to make it. Thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes! They make me so hungry! :) Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it