Braised DuckFrom chefelaine 8 years ago
- sea salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 4 to 5-pound duck, rinsed, dried, and cut in half shopping list
- 4 sprigs of thyme shopping list
- 4 cloves of garlic, skin left on and lightly crushed shopping list
- 1 - 2 juicing oranges, sliced shopping list
- 4 leaves fresh sage shopping list
How to make it
- Salt and pepper the duck liberally on both sides.
- Place each half, skin side down, in a large, heavy-bottomed (preferably cast-iron) pan.
- Wedge the thyme and garlic under the skin.
- Place the orange slices on top of the skin
- Place 2 sage leaves beneath each of the meat pieces
- Cover the pan with its lid or with foil, and place it over low heat.
- Braise for one hour (duck should crackle and sizzle gently; skin should be golden and crisp; most fat should be rendered).
- Turn duck.
- Cover pan.
- Braise for another hour, until duck bottom is well browned and meat is quite tender.
- Remove duck to a cutting board; with poultry shears, halve the halves.
- Place two tablespoons of the reserved fat from the pan into a clean saute pan, and heat the pan to medium high.
- Place duck pieces skin side down, and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, just until skin turns crisp and dark.
- Transfer to a dish and cover with foil, letting the meat rest 5 minutes before serving.
The Cookchefelaine Muskoka, CANA
The Rating12 people
love duck fixed this way its awsome thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
I always loved the orange-duck combination. This is the perfect meat for the tangy sweet taste of oranges!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
The hour wait will be so worth it for your Braised Duck. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.
Five Forkstrigger in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!