Quebec Ragout de pattes et boulettes (Pork hocks stew and meatballs)From charrm1 5 years ago
- RAGOÛT (pork hocks stew and pork/beef meatballs) shopping list
- 2 to 3 lbs pork hocks (feet), cut in pieces shopping list
- 1 tsp coarse salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves shopping list
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 2 tbsp fat (Crisco, tenderflake) shopping list
- 4 to 6 cups lukewarm water shopping list
- 1 cup onions, sliced thinly shopping list
- 4 to 6 tbsp browned flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- meatballs shopping list
- 2 lbs ground beef shopping list
- 1 lb ground pork shopping list
- Mixture of the same quantity and spices used in the ragoût. shopping list
How to make it
- Roll the pork hocks in a mixture of the salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Melt the fat in a heavy saucepan. Brown the hocks until dark brown in colour (there lies the secret for a successful ragoût).
- When the meat is well browned, add the onions and stir until light brown and add the lukewarm water. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Shake together in a glass jar, the flour and 1/2 cup water. Pour into the broth and cook while stirring, until a good thick consistency.
- While the stew (ragoût) is simmering, make (1 inch or so) meatballs by mixing the ground beef, ground pork and the same spices (salt, pepper, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg) and quantity used in the ragoût. Add the meatballs to the ragoût and let simmer for the time remaining, as stated above.
- Once the pork hocks are fully cooked and the meat comes off the bone, after 2 hours or so, you can remove and discard the bones and the skin of the pork hocks and return the meat only to the ragoût before serving.
- BROWN FLOUR is achieved by browning the white flour in a medium to hot dry pan (NO OIL) and stirring continually until the flour becomes a rich deep brown colour.
- NOTE: BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN THE FLOUR BY CONTROLLING THE TEMPERATURE OF YOUR PAN AND STIRRING CONSTANTLY UNTIL DEEP BROWN.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, fresh bread and vegetables of your choice.