Hungarian GoulashFrom absoluteevents 8 years ago
- 2lbs Bottom Round shopping list
- ½ lb bacon shopping list
- 1ea onion, lg shopping list
- ½ gal beef or veal stock shopping list
- 1/3 c paprika shopping list
- ½ tsp Crushed red pepper shopping list
- 1c tomato paste shopping list
- ¼ lb butter, salted shopping list
- 3Tbs cooking oil shopping list
- TT salt & pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1) Cut beef into approximately 2 x 2 inch cubes. Cut raw bacon into half inch pieces. Medium dice onion.
- 2) In a roasting pan or large shallow pot on the stove top using a low heat render bacon in butter and oil. Once the bacon is mostly crisp add beef and onion. Increase heat to medium and brown the beef.
- 3) When the beef is browned add paprika and crushed red pepper. Continue to stir and allow the paprika to cook slightly. Turn heat to low and using stock deglaze pan loosening anything that is stuck to the bottom of the pan. Wisk tomato paste into stock and simmer.
- 4) Simmer until beef is fork tender (approximately hrs). If sauce reduces too much add water during cooking. Once the meat is finished cooking the sauce should be reduced to the consistency of thick gravy.
- Serving suggestion- Serve with a side of spatzle and braised red cabbage; garnish with a parsley sprig.