Salt and Pepper Cheese Puffs GougeresFrom linspj 8 years ago
How to make it
- In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 cups water and the butter to a full rolling boil.
- Remove from heat, add flour all at once, and stir until mixture is a smooth, thick paste with no lumps.
- Add a quarter of the beaten eggs at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition until dough is no longer slippery.
- Stir in cheese and pepper.
- Spoon dough into a large pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/2-inch round tip.
- Pipe in 48 equal mounds on two cooking parchment-lined or buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. (Alternatively, drop dough on sheets in slightly rounded tablespoon-size portions.)
- Sprinkle each mound with a few grains of coarse sea salt.
- Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until dry and well browned, about 30 minutes. Serve warm .
- The puffs can be made up to 1 month ahead and frozen; cool, then freeze airtight. Reheat thawed puffs, uncovered, in a 375° oven until crisp and hot, about 5 minutes.