Curried Pumpkin Soup With Maple Caramelized OnionsFrom mattandmaren 8 years ago
- olive oil shopping list
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup maple syrup shopping list
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 large sweet-tart apple (I use Fuji or Gala), peeled, cored and diced shopping list
- 15-ounce can unsweetened, unseasoned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix!) shopping list
- juice of 1 large orange shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- Kosher sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 8 small toasts shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat combine a couple of tablespoons of the olive oil and half the onion. Saute until the onions are very soft and lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and ginger, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring often, until the onions are thick and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot over medium high, combine another couple of tablespoons of olive oil with the remaining onion, the curry powder, red pepper flakes and the apple. Saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the pumpkin and orange juice, then transfer everything in the soup pot to a food processor. Add the milk and puree until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and return to a gentle simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls , then top each serving with 2 toasts. Arrange some of the caramelized onions over the toasts.
The Cookmattandmaren Kirkland, WA
The Rating4 people
I like the flavors in this - it sounds warm, savory, and sweet. Great post! - Nataliefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
I made this soup for my girlfriend and we both thought it was great. For the left overs we added some cornstarch to thicken it up and used it as a pizza sauce. We put shrimp (sauteed in lemon, garlic and dill), artichokes and feta. This pizza was fan...morepoopdeck in loved it