Turkey PicadilloFrom fizzle3nat 5 years ago
- 1 lb. ground turkey shopping list
- 1 TBSP. extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 4 tsp. chili powder shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. oregano shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon shopping list
- 2 c. corn kernels, fresh or frozen shopping list
- 1/4 c. chopped pitted green olives shopping list
- 1 TBSP. capers, rinsed shopping list
- 3 TBSP. tomato paste shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. water shopping list
- couple pinches kosher salt, to taste, if desired shopping list
- 12 corn tortillas, to serve, optional shopping list
- OPTIONAL 'SIDE' shopping list
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 2 green onions, sliced shopping list
- 1 TBSP. cilantro, minced shopping list
- juice from 1/2 small lime shopping list
How to make it
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, saute the turkey, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander set over a plate and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the stove over medium heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Saute, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon. Continue cooking, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the corn, olives, capers, tomato paste, water, and the browned meat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste, if desired. Serve with warm corn totillas, if desired.
- OPTIONAL SIDE:
- Heat beans with a couple tablespoonfuls water in a small saucepan until heated through. Add onions, cilantro, and lime juice and stir to combine. Serve as a condiment with Turkey Picadillo and tortillas.