Creamy Tomato Soup with Asiago CroutonsFrom carterl 5 years ago
- 5 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 4 cups milk shopping list
- 1/2 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped (fresh or canned) shopping list
- Adding baking soda to the tomatoes keeps the milk from curdling shopping list
- 1 Loaf of Asiago bread(sliced Thick) shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the Butter in a soup pot.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is softened but not browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter mixture and continue to stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, bay leaf, sugar, and salt and continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Stir the baking soda into the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes to the milk, and bring just to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and put through a strainer.
- Taste and correct seasonings.
- Reheat before serving. Top with Asiago Croutons- The More the Better!
- Make croutons for the top of the soup by cubing Panera Bread Asiago Loaf into 3/4-inch thick slices.
- Butter both sides of those slices, then cut the slices into bite-size cubes.
- Bake the bread in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until crispy.
The Cookcarterl Danville, VA
The Rating4 people
Love this...Got my 5...:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
Great post! One of my faves. Thanks for sharing.sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
NOT GOOD - 10/17/12 - Made this for the first time tonight. Taste and consistency were NOTHING like Panera's (which according to many websites I've seen, it's supposed to be a recipe from the Panera Bread cookbook). When I tasted it and realized it...moregkellygirl in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!