Creamy Tomato Soup with Asiago CroutonsFrom carterl 6 years ago
- 5 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 4 cups milk shopping list
- 1/2 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped (fresh or canned) shopping list
- Adding baking soda to the tomatoes keeps the milk from curdling shopping list
- 1 Loaf of Asiago bread(sliced Thick) shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the Butter in a soup pot.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the onion is softened but not browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter mixture and continue to stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, bay leaf, sugar, and salt and continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Stir the baking soda into the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes to the milk, and bring just to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and put through a strainer.
- Taste and correct seasonings.
- Reheat before serving. Top with Asiago Croutons- The More the Better!
- Make croutons for the top of the soup by cubing Panera Bread Asiago Loaf into 3/4-inch thick slices.
- Butter both sides of those slices, then cut the slices into bite-size cubes.
- Bake the bread in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until crispy.
The Cookcarterl Danville, VA
The Rating4 people
Great post! One of my faves. Thanks for sharing.sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
Love this...Got my 5...:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
NOT GOOD - 10/17/12 - Made this for the first time tonight. Taste and consistency were NOTHING like Panera's (which according to many websites I've seen, it's supposed to be a recipe from the Panera Bread cookbook). When I tasted it and realized it...moregkellygirl in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!