Gefllte Krautroladen - Stuffed Cabbage rollsFrom rescue_ranger 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dill seed shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups onion, chopped shopping list
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten shopping list
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced shopping list
- 2 1/2 pounds cabbage shopping list
- cheesecloth shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth shopping list
- 1/2 cup beef broth shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar shopping list
How to make it
- 1) In a medium bowl cover brown rice with hot water and soak for 3 hours. Drain.
- 2) In a 2-quart saucepan combine rice, 3 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Simmer covered for 40 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 3) Add the dill seed, marjoram, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet sauté 1 1/2 cups chopped onion in 3 tablespoons hot vegetable oil until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add paprika and garlic; continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes.
- 4) Stir in the rice mixture, eggs, bread crumbs, and parsley. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 5) Core cabbage and, in a large pot, blanch the cabbage cored-side-down in boiling salted water for 5 minutes or until it is softened. Drain.
- 6) Remove 12 leaves and cut off one fourth of each leaf from the base. Arrange 1 leaf curved-side down on a square of dampened cheesecloth and place 3 tablespoons of rice mixture in the center.
- 7) Wrap the leaf around the filling and twist the corners of the cheesecloth to form the leaf into a roll. Continue making rolls with remaining filling.
- 8) Chop remaining cabbage to make 3 cups and, in a large frying pan, sauté with 1 cup chopped onions and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until soft. Add tomatoes, vermouth, broth, tomato paste, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 9) Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings.
- 10) Transfer cabbage-tomato sauce mixture to a large baking dish. Arrange the cabbage rolls close together in one layer on the sauce. Spoon some of the mixture over the rolls.
- 11) Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours. Baste rolls 4 to 5 times during cooking.
- 12) Let the dish cool. Cover with cheese cloth and refrigerate overnight.
- 13) Remove cheesecloth, Heat in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes before serving.
The Cookrescue_ranger New Baltimore, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!