Chocolate Chestnut CakeFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 3 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva dark chocolate, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup chestnut puree* shopping list
- 4 large eggs, separated shopping list
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar or confectioners’ sugar shopping list
- Icing: shopping list
- 2 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva dark chocolate, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 large egg yolk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar or confectioners’ sugar shopping list
- ½ cup heavy cream, softly whipped shopping list
- *chestnut puree is available at gourmet and specialty food shops and many supermarkets shopping list
How to make it
- Make cake:
- 1. Position one oven rack in center of oven. Position second oven rack in bottom third of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Generously butter bottom and sides of 8-inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment paper and butter paper.
- 2. Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl on high for 45 to 60 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- 3. Mash chestnut puree with a fork to loosen texture.
- 4. In medium bowl with an electric mixer beat yolks with ½ cup sugar at high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. In large bowl with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in remaining sugar using a whisk or clean rubber spatula 30 to 60 seconds. Add chestnut puree to egg yolk mixture and mix at low speed until combined. Fold in melted chocolate until combined. Gently fold in egg whites by hand.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack before removing from pan.
- Make icing:
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl on high for 45 to 60 seconds; stir until smooth. Whisk in egg yolk and butter. Stir for 1 minute; set aside. Whisk together rum, sugar and cream. Fold into chocolate mixture in three separate additions, gently stirring after each addition. Using a spatula, spread icing on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
People Who Like This Dish 10
- JamesWillsmum Nowhere, Us
- albanianinspiration Nowhere, Us
- deenamarie Sandy, OR
- jo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
- pieplate Claremont, CA
- cdntammyjo Collingwood, CA
- capedread Peterborough. Cambridgeshire, GB
- shirleyoma Cove, OR
- cher3231 Denham Springs, LA
- peetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating3 people
Exactly what I am looking for! Thanks!
btw, is this for unsweetened pureed chestnuts, or for the chestnut jam?
OK, I tried this tonight. Some thoughts: definitely for sweetened pureed chestnuts, aka chestnut jam. Make sure to bake this for the entire time, and make sure the toothpick comes out perfectly clean--mine rose magnificently, then fell. The frost...more
- Not added to any groups yet!