Rustic Rhubarb and Apple PieFrom virtualsteve 8 years ago
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 7 cups chopped rhubarb shopping list
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped shopping list
- 5 pieces of glace ginger, chopped shopping list
- zest of one lemon shopping list
- cinnamon for sprinkling before baking shopping list
- raw sugar for sprinkling before baking shopping list
- icing sugar for sprinkling after cooking shopping list
- 1/2 cups of plain flour (whole wheat if you have it) shopping list
- 3 Tbsp icing sugar shopping list
- 125 gm (4 1/2 oz) butter shopping list
- 1/4 tspn salt shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 1 tbsp cold water shopping list
How to make it
- Mix flour, icing sugar and salt in your mixing bowl. Add butter and beat on low speed to breadcrumb consistency. Stop mixer, add egg yolk and Tbsp of water, mix gently until dough forms.
- Gather dough, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F).
- Butter 20 cm (8 in) pie plate.
- After it is cooled, roll pastry out to allow for 7.5cm (3 in) overlap and place into pie dish - allow edges to overlap. Put back in refrigerator to cool.
- Put sugar and water into pan. Heat for 5 minutes, sugar will melt and form a syrup like consistency.
- Add rhubarb, apple, ginger and zest. Simmer gently for 5 minutes (you want the rhubarb to still look like chunks).
- Drain off liquid and allow mixture to cool.
- Spoon into pie shell and fold edges over (as shown in photograph).
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and a little raw sugar.
- Bake for 40 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 2 or 3 minutes, sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Cut into pie slices and serve with ice-cream or cream. Enjoy.
The Cookvirtualsteve Wagga Wagga, AU
The Rating4 people
theres nothing like a ruhbarb apple pie simply delicous, wonderful flavor thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Great recipe!mamalou in Attleboro loved it
Looks and sounds great! Got my 5!juels in Clayton loved it