Mexican Chopped salad with Beets and Walnut DressingFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 1/2 pound walnut halves (2 cups) shopping list
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice shopping list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 3/4 pound peeled roasted beets, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (See Note) shopping list
- 1 fuji apple, cut into 1/3-inch cubes shopping list
- 1 hass avocado, cubed shopping list
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 pound manchego cheese, thinly shaved (1 cup) shopping list
- 5 ounces mesclun greens shopping list
- 2 cups tortilla chips, lightly crushed shopping list
How to make it
- Prep time does not include roasting beets time
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden and fragrant.
- Let cool completely.
- Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the walnuts to a food processor.
- Add the oil and lime juice and pulse until the walnuts are coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beets, apple, avocado, fennel and Manchego and toss.
- Add the mesclun and tortilla chips, season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- Transfer the salad to plates, garnish with the remaining walnuts and serve right away.
- Notes Vacuum-sealed roasted beets are available in specialty shops if not roast your own beets as you would do for any roasted vegetable.
- I have posted recipes on how to roast vegetables