Braised Red Cabbage With CranberriesFrom otterpond 7 years ago
- 1 ts olive oil or veg. oil; shopping list
- 1 tb Brown sugar; shopping list
- 3 lg cloves of garlic; crushed shopping list
- 1 c Fresh or frozen cranberries; shopping list
- 3 tb Red wine vinegar; shopping list
- 5 c Shredded red cabbage; 3/4 lb shopping list
- 1/3 c Dry red wine; (sub.cran juice shopping list
- 1 pn Cayenne pepper; shopping list
- salt & Pepper to taste; shopping list
How to make it
- 5 cups of red cabbages is about 1/2 a head of cabbage. Finely shred the cabbage and remove any large white core pieces as these are bitter and don't soften down well.
- In large saucepan, heat oil, brown sugar and garlic over medium heat for 2 min. Add 1/2 cup cranberries and vinegar. Cover and cook about 5 min. or until cranberries pop their skins.
- Add cabbage, wine (sub cranberry or other juice). Cover and cook on low heat for about 20 min. or until cabbage is tender; stir occasionally.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup cranberries. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 min. or until cranberries are warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot or cold. Makes 4 cups. Prep. 20 min, cook about 30 min.
The Cookotterpond Orlando, FL
The Rating3 people
Sounds good, Otter! HIGH FIVE, and please recheck your email :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
I would think you could make this up several days in advance and it would be good...it sounds like a very delicious recipe... and it would last for a few days afterwards.....zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
I love the addition of the cayenne and I know the piquancy of the berries would help elevate the cabbage. Will add this to our dinner rotation soon. Thanks for the post.
notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it