Lindas Chicken And Wild Rice SoupFrom mbeards2 7 years ago
- 1 3-4 pounds chicken, either whole or parts shopping list
- 1 Cup long-grain brown rice shopping list
- ½ Cup wild rice shopping list
- 3 quarts water shopping list
- 1 Cup onion, chopped shopping list
- ½ Cup celery, sliced shopping list
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced or 1 1-pound bag of frozen sliced carrots shopping list
- 2 whole cloves shopping list
- 1 large bay leaf shopping list
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 tablespoons of dried minced parsley shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 4 pepper corns shopping list
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- In an 8-quart Dutch oven, add the 3 quarts of water, cloves, bay leaf, pepper corns and chicken. Bring to a simmer and continue simmering until the chicken thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the chicken from liquid and allow the liquid and the chicken to cool. Remove the chicken from the bones and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Skim as much of the fat as possible from the liquid that the chicken was cooked in and strain it. Return the liquid to the Dutch oven.
- In a separate pan, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and sauté until the onions and garlic are soft. Set aside.
- Add the salt, brown rice, wild rice, celery, and nutmeg to the Dutch oven.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, carrots and chicken and continue to simmer until the carrots and rice are tender. About another 20 minutes.
- Add the parsley and simmer for about 5 minutes longer.
- Ladle into bowls and EAT!