Banana pudding PIEFrom magflower 9 years ago
- 1 box vanilla wafers/12oz shopping list
- 1/2 C unsalted butter/ melted shopping list
- 2-3 bananas/sliced shopping list
- vanilla cream filling/recipe follows shopping list
- 4 egg whites/save yolks for filling shopping list
- 1/2 C sugar shopping list
- vanilla CREAM FILLING shopping list
- 3/4C sugar shopping list
- 1/3C all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 eggs plus shopping list
- 4 reserved yolks shopping list
- 2C milk (vanilla bean optional) shopping list
- 2T good vanilla xtract shopping list
- 1 whole vanilla bean/ scrape seeds into milk and add the bean too but remove bean before pouring filling into pie shell. shopping list
How to make it
- Put aside 20 vanilla wafers
- pulse the rest in processor to crumbs/approx 2 1/2 cups
- mix with melted butter and press into bottom, up the sidesand onto the lip of pie plate
- bake at 350f for about 8 -10 minutes /cool completely on rack
- MAKE MERINGUE
- beat whites on high til foamy
- add 1/2C sugar gradually and continue beating on high till stiff peaks
- set aside
- whisk together 3/4C sugar, 1/3C flour, eggs and yolks and vanilla bean infused milk in a heavy sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 10 minutes or until it begins to bubble and soft peaks form when you lift the whisk. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla xtract. REMOVE THE VANILLA BEAN!!
- set filling aside for a minute.
- line the bottom of the cooled pie shell with the sliced bananas. Make a nice thick layer.
- Pour half the filling over the bananas.
- Make a layer with the 20 vanilla wafers
- pour in rest of filling/smoothing it out with spatula
- top with the meringue/ making sure to seal the edges of the pie
- bake in preheated 350f oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until meringue is browned.
- completely cool on wire rack and then chill for at least a couple of hours, before serving.
- YUMMY SUMMER DESSRT
People Who Like This Dish 19
The Cookmagflower Atlanta, GA
The Rating3 people
You found my weakness already...banana cream pie! My grandmother would always make me one when I came home to MN to visit - I can smell that wonderful "fresh out of the oven" aroma just thinking about it. Your meringue is a beautiful sight, too...t...morekrumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it
I made this today - had to use graham cracker crust since I forgot to buy the vanilla wafers...made no differnce, as the pie was DELICIOUS! One of my guests was using his finger to scrape out the little leftover filling in the pie plate as he was cl...morekrumkake in Chicago Suburbs loved it