Sweet Potato SurpriseFrom thamesarino 5 years ago
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes shopping list
- 2 tblsp butter shopping list
- 2 tblsp honey shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 small sweet apples (I use honey crisp) shopping list
- 1 large Granny Smith (or any tart apple) shopping list
- 2 tsp lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cardamom shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ginger shopping list
- 1 cup cranberries shopping list
- TOPPING: shopping list
- 1 bag of gingersnaps shopping list
- 3 tblsp butter shopping list
- honey shopping list
- cinnamon shopping list
- cardamom shopping list
- ginger shopping list
How to make it
- Start a pot of water to boil potatoes and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Boil for about 10 minutes or until almost, but not quite fork tender. Drain and put them into a medium size bowl. Season potatoes with butter, honey, and salt. Stir and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, peel and chop apples into 1 inch cubes. Put apples into a medium size bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice. Then add brown sugar, I like to use 1/2 light and 1/2 dark, but one or the other will be fine.
- Season apples with cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger, to taste.
- Add cranberries.
- Mix potatoes and fruit mixture into a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
- To make the topping, crush a bag of Gingersnaps. To do this, I put the cookies in a large zipper bag, place the bag on top of a kitchen towel, place another kitchen towel on top of the bag, and then smash the cookies with the side of a hammer or mallet. The towels help the bag not to get too torn up from the sharp cookie pieces.
- Mix the cookie pieces with the butter, and additional spices to taste. We like things very flavorful so I add a few pinches of the same spices that are in the dish, but if you leave them out it will still be yummy.
- Scatter the topping over the fruit and potatoes. Drizzle just a little honey over the topping.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-35 minutes, until the apples are soft and the topping is brown and crunchy.
The Cookthamesarino Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating4 people
Wow this sounds amazing! I love how this is full of great healthy fruits and veggies with a naughty little sweet streak. Great idea using gingersnaps as a crunchy and complimentary topping! I doubt any picky kid or husband could turn down this tas...moreboofie in Salt Lake City loved it
This sounds so much better than the usual candied yams. Great post. Thanksdragonwings647 in Duchesne loved it
Fantastic flavors - looking forward to trying this one.
Cheerfully !!!!!5nadaism in Toowoomba loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!